#111 Broadway Shopping Center

1960s

The 1951 debut of Broadway Shopping Center forever changed the fortunes of Walnut Creek and transformed the community into the commercial center of the region. The mall was built on land near the confluence of San Ramon and Las Trampas creeks. Many of the original stores were clustered around a horseshoe parking lot anchored by a trademark Broadway sign.