Plaza Escuela -- 1871
By 1860, Walnut Creek had nearly 70 children. Their school was south of town in Alamo. With that many children, town leaders
realized Walnut Creek needed to plan for its own school. Finally, after 11
years, residents voted to tax themselves $1,500 to build the one-room Central
School. It was built on a hill at the end of School Street (today’s Locust
Street). Central School was replaced with the larger Walnut Creek Grammar
School in 1912. Captain Orris Fales was one of the first trustees of the school district.