Main & Mt. Diablo -- circa 1880
Walnut Creek was first called “The Corners,” because
the region’s two main roads – Pacheco Road and Lafayette Road -- met at what is
today the corner of Main and Mt. Diablo. Pacheco Road ran north-south from
Martinez to San Jose. Lafayette Road took travelers west to Oakland. At this
junction stood the Oak Saloon, a popular watering hole. The town’s name was
changed to Walnut Creek in 1862.