In the early years, Main Street was a simple country lane called
Pacheco Road that connected Martinez to San Jose. As the lifeline of the
town’s commercial district, the road served the Pony Express in 1860-61 and
became a regular route for stagecoaches in the1880s. As a dirt road, Main
Street had to be “watered” during dry weather to keep down the dust. Main
Street was finally paved in 1921 and served as state Highway 21 until the
freeway opened in 1960.
Legacy Story: Hiram Penniman