Main at Mt. Diablo -- circa 1880
This prominent corner has always been a transportation “hub” in Walnut
Creek. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, a livery stable (horse barn)
occupied this entire block, allowing locals and visitors to board or rent
horses and buggies. The operation included barns, a wagon shed, a harness
room, corrals, a 25-foot-tall windmill, and a hay shed. Joel Harlan took over the business in 1905.