North Main at Cypress -- 1920
The 400-seat Ramona, Walnut Creek's first cinema, opened in 1920,
showing the silent feature, “Isle of Conquest.” The movie house sat on Main
Street, next to the offices of the Contra
Costa Courier newspaper and where Cypress Street now connects to
Broadway. It was owned by Theodore
Berling, the town’s first police chief. The theater was demolished in 1957
for the Cypress Street extension.