Locust-Civic-California -- circa 1920
By the late 1800s,
walnuts had become a more important local crop in Contra Costa County. To
process their walnuts, local growers initially hauled their crops to Oakland
or San Francisco. In 1917, local growers formed their own association and, a few years later,
built a walnut processing plant next to the railway line that ran along what
is today California Boulevard. The plant closed in 1957 after most walnut
groves were replaced by housing developments.