#190 City Park & Walnut Festival

Civic and Broadway -- 1950s

Walnut Creek’s first park -- City Park (now Civic Park) – opened in 1949 at the site of an old sewer farm that closed after the regional Sanitary District took over sewer operations. City Park had a lighted ballfield and tennis courts. It also became the site of the very popular Walnut Festival, held each year in September. The Walnut Festival moved to Heather Farm Park in 1976.