Civic and Broadway -- 1951
Walnut Creek built its first “modern” City Hall in 1951 on land on
Ygnacio Avenue (now Civic Drive) that was across from City Park (now Civic
Park). Besides City Hall, two other civic buildings in City Park, built in
the same period, had similar designs: The American Red Cross Building (now
Park Place) and the youth center (now a clay arts studio).
The first City
Hall was replaced in 1981 with a new building on the same site. Eva Leech, the first woman to serve on the City Council, founded the local chapter of the American Red Cross in 1898.