1601 Civic Dr. -- 1965
In 1965, the City re-purposed an old walnut warehouse as the Civic Arts
Theatre & Gallery – affectionately nicknamed “The Nuthouse.” Some 25 years later and through extensive
private fundraising, “The Nuthouse” was replaced with the Lesher Center for the
Arts, a regional performing and visual arts center. The Center is named for
Dean and Margaret Lesher; Dean Lesher was the founder of the Contra Costa Times
and a significant supporter of arts and education.