#202 Albert & John Sherburne

After initially settling in San Ramon, Albert Sherburne relocated to Walnut Creek in 1871 to assume ownership of a store. A year later, he moved the store to the most prominent location in the commercial district – near the corner of today’s Main Street and Mt. Diablo Boulevard. His building is the oldest commercial building still standing downtown.

By 1885, Sherburne and his brother, John, were running the store together under the name Sherburne Bros. & Company. John was appointed postmaster in 1889 and ran the post office out of their store until 1893.

Wanting to ensure Walnut Creek’s commercial prosperity, Albert Sherburne advocated to bring the railroad to town – which finally happened in 1891.