#213 Michael Kirsch

A Prussian immigrant, Michael Kirsch moved to Walnut Creek – then called “The Corners” -- in 1858. Before Walnut Creek, he ran a blacksmith shop in San Francisco.

On coming to Walnut Creek, Kirsch established a blacksmith and wheelwright shop that would operate for many years at the southeast corner of Main Street and Mt. Diablo Boulevard. His business offered a wide range of services -- from horseshoeing to making farm equipment.

Kirsch, his wife, Julia, and their four children lived in a stately white two-story home just south of his business on a site that today is an entrance to Broadway Plaza.