Antonio Silva Botelho came to
Walnut Creek around 1870 and gradually bought 300 acres of farm land at the southern
end of Walnut Creek that today includes Broadway Plaza, Plaza Escuela, and Kaiser Medical Center.
The family home sat where the Broadway Plaza parking garage on South Main
Street sits today. An open grazing area on his land, carved out by the coming
together of the San Ramon and Las Trampas Creeks, was a popular picnic place that locals called “Botelho’s Island.”
Botelho donated land for the Southern Pacific Railroad and for St.
Mary’s Catholic Church.