After moving to Walnut Creek in 1910, Harry Spencer started his
lumber business near the OA&E railway depot in 1911 and quickly became
active in community affairs.
In 1913, Spencer was elected president of the Business Men’s
Association. Under Spencer’s leadership, the group led the effort to incorporate Walnut Creek in order to pave downtown streets. .
Spencer was elected to the first Board of Trustees (now City
Council) and served as its president (now mayor) for the next eight years. He also
served as commissioner of finance.
in 1921, Harry’s son Raymond was appointed the first chief of the
volunteer fire department. Raymond was succeeded as fire chief by his younger